Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Devil in the White City, or Nonfiction so Good it Isn't


Simply put, the Devil in the White City by Erik Larson is one of the best books I've ever read. Done.

Except... its also nonfiction! It is the best nonfiction book I've ever read. It details the simultaneous rise and fall of the Chicago World's Fair and America's first home-grown serial killer H. H. Holmes. First of all, its historically accurate. Any passage in the book within quotations comes from a direct source. However, the mind-boggling best part about the book is how Erik Larson weaves history into a beautiful and compelling narrative. There were moments when I couldn't wait to read what happens next and... (here's the cool part) I kept reading. Instead of performing a simple Google search I chose to remain immersed in the narrative.

The Devil in the White City is an amazing read no matter what genre you enjoy. Knowing exactly what happened, I'd read it again in a heartbeat.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I'm really excited to read this. I might just have to put my current novel on the backburner,

    ReplyDelete